Sep 22, 2012

Tommie Brewster - the soulful voice of Blues

I have been a musician all my life and cannot remember a time when I didn’t play piano. I started before I was 4 years old and studied classical music at the Royal Academy of Music in London, playing several other instruments also. I graduated with a Doctorate in Music.

At home, my influences were many from jazz to ragtime, from swing to reggae, from rock to heavy metal but it was always blues that spoke loudest to me in my heart and soul and it was always my dream to write, play and sing my own blues music.

Every musician absorbs influences and I am no exception, but I do not knowingly emulate or imitate anyone – I just create my music the way I hear it in my heart and my head.  I also had a dream to produce my own music which I have now achieved and with the help of some very professional final mastering I am pleased with the finished product. I write my music in the old-fashioned way, on manuscript and the lyrics come to me along with the melody as a complete package.

I record also in as authentic a way as I can – no samples,loops, tweaks – if I make a mistake in playing the piano part, then I start at the beginning and do it all again!! I play piano, sax, clarinet, harmonica, organ and a few other things.


I have a catalog of original songs of around 350 now – with only a fraction of them released and it just goes on and on………………..and as I speak French and Italian in addition to English, then I do record in different languages when necessary.

I was inducted into the USA Blues Hall of Fame in 2010 as Ambassador to New Zealand which is a great honor and I display my logo proudly.



In 2011, I hit the Top Ten of the Roots Music Report in the Blues chart with my first album In The Making – this is a huge achievement for me as I sit there above such greats as Etta James, Elvin Bishop, Los Lonely Boys with my own self produced music.

The track Can’t Leave You Alone from this album was released as my first ever single in October 2008 and immediately went to number 7 in the ReverbNation blues chart and is still in there! – I have had great responses to all my subsequent single releases and this has all helped me to remain at Number One Blues artist NZ on ReverbNation for over Four years now.

I do create music in many different genres, and dislike boundaries in music. I have many acoustic releases and also many Soul tracks, plus songs which speak of my concern for our planet, such as Earthcry which has been hugely popular worldwide, of my deep concerns for the child victims on Human Trafficking with my song Someone Else’s Problem.



Global Thunda Network of the Australian Broadcasting Network honored me by awarding the Inaugural Independent Artist Award for New Zealand 2010 to ME!!


The Jazz Network Worldwide did me the honor of featuring me as the first ever Indie Blues artist to be featured on their site and the first Blues artist ever to ‘open’ the site!  These spotlighted my songs ‘You’re A Liar’ and ‘Won’t See Me For Dust’. 


I also had the distinction of having three number one placing in the Finals Charts at Song Vault usa in three separate genres, simultaneously and was the first artist to gain three consecutive months as Blues Artist of the Month on Our Stage.com.  I now am proud to be a ‘Certified Artist’ on Song Vault – quite an achievement



I have been featured and spotlighted on many sites including,  the Artsees Diner magazine http://artseesdiner.com/OpenMicNight.html 
as Arzuk Artist of the Month,  Inspiring Artists Feature of the Month, and most recently as a feature guest of Diana Broomfield on her ‘Conversations
and by Regina Swarn on her Entertainment and Media site:
where Regina created a special Group for me :
In Honor  of Tommie Brewster – only one of so many features and support that she has honored me with.

Non blues releases have been selected for compilation albums by Melodic Revolution Records, by Womens Radio and by World Class Talents.

My song Red Red Rose from the poem by Robert Burns the Scottish poet, gained me an honorary membership of the Royal Scottish Robert Burns Society.


The song Good Day was selected by Doug Stephan, host of the USA radio show ‘good day’ for airplay regularly on that channel.
. 

My radio show  Tommie Talks Music’ is focused on people who inspire me, with their lives, their passions and what drives them.  Often this can be a musician but not always and the show has proved hugely popular, now syndicated over 24 different radio stations in the USA/UK and New Zealand
 
You can find all the details of my shows and my guests at the dedicated website for TommieTalksMusic  and on Facebook.


I also create and perform Spoken Word which can be heard on the dedicated page on my website at website http://www.tommiebrewster.com.


Several of my videos have gained awards for creativity and content:


View them on 




With a catalog of so many unreleased songs and an unrelenting drive of creativity that keeps me writing songs almost every day of my life, the time has come to release the next album.

This one is called ‘My Own Shade of Blue’ and is due out in early October 2012.


In addition, work continues on a ‘rock opera’ for which all the music is written and in place with merely the stage play to complete. Given a backer for this project, I am excited about the prospect of seeing it come to reality on the stage in London.



In addition, I have two commissions for film scores and am busily enjoying the orchestral work on these.

Thank-yous:


So many!!  To friends, fans, radio hosts, and most of all to you reading this now………



My love affair with my music is a wonderful if sometimes exhausting relationship - but I love every single minute of it. 



I write and play music every day of my life.  It never stops.        

                     
                           Music is my life after all.
  



Land Gigs