Jan 18, 2010

James Onohan - "My Life, My Music"

My name is James Onohan, I was born and raised in East Chicago, IN. I started playing the piano when I was about 10 years old. Growing up, my mom and dad were a huge inspiration. Both my parents were amazing singers and my dad played the piano very well. They were truly gifted musicians. I could remember listening to my dad play the piano and saying "I wish I could do that". So one day, I sat down and began to teach myself. By the time I was 12, I was playing Mozart. 

All through elementary, middle, and high school, I would perform in many school concerts. I even entered several state music competitions playing the flute and the piano. This really broke my fear of performing in front of an audience. Through these years, I realized music was not just a hobby, but a passion.

After High school, I attended Vandercook College of Music. This was located in the downtown area of Chicago. This experience was short-lived. Even though I had a passion to play music, I decided I did not want to become a music teacher. So at the age of 21, I got hired by the Hammond Police Department in Northwest, Indiana. A far cry from a musician, but an honor indeed. I am currently serving my 9th year.

Even though I became a Police Officer, I didn't loose my passion for music.

In 2003, I released my very first Album, "My Life, My Music". Between 2004 and 2006, I released two more albums. Within the last 8 years, I have written and recorded over 35 original piano songs. Last year, I built a small music studio in my home, where I continuously record new music. I am now writing original music for vocalists and constantly working with new artists. 

I have even Joined the You-tube world. I have posted several videos of me playing the piano, flute, and even me singing!